Jan 4th, 2013
Author: PJ Dhanoa
We all said goodbye to 2012, made our New Year’s resolutions and welcomed a brand new year. Maybe your resolutions are to get healthy, get a raise, or get rid of your road rage once and for all. It’s all about starting over and that usually means a new look. Change up the workout routine, get some new makeup, or splurge on a new pair of jeans. Changing your look means switching up your hair too. A new cut, color, or style can give you the little boost you need to bound into 2013 feeling confident and fabulous. Out with the old, in with the new!
Check out these styles inspired by the spring runway shows – with a little time and patience you won’t need a team of professionals to try them out. Maybe just one stylist – then you can learn them yourself.
1. Low Ponytail: These were all over the runways so expect to see them all over your city this winter and spring as well. To get this simple, classic look blow dry your hair so it’s slick and straight, and tie it at the nape of the neck or even lower. You can jazz it up with ribbons, headbands, or wide barrettes and you can go messy or smooth, depending on your mood.
2. Chignons and Twists: This is a little more “done” than a low ponytail and it looks chic and fresh. First blow the hair straight and create a neat part. Then smooth the hair with anti-frizz lotion or oil and create a ponytail at the base of neck. From there you can wrap it into a classic ballet bun, twist it into a knot, or shape it into a twist. Use colorful bobby pins and hair accessories to make it more fun.
3. Slicked: Don’t worry, this isn’t the “wet look.” That was in fashion a little while back but now it’s all about slicked tresses rather than hair that looks like it’s been submerged in a pool. Try this with center and side parts, create waves while the top is slicked, and see what works for you. It’s unique and a little bit daring – perfect for a new year.
4. Accessories: This was definitely big on the runways, from Gucci to Prada to Marni. Whether your hair is long or short you can use fun bands, bright flowers, metal bands or pieces, flashes of neon, pearls, and scarves to change up your look in a hurry. You can even look at fashions from past decades to get inspiration. The Great Gatsby movie is coming out this spring so check out some 1920s looks just for fun.
5. Braids: Who doesn’t love a braid? Unless your hair is in a pixie cut this is a must to try. You can play around and get crazy by crisscrossing the back of the head with small, tight braids, or create a loose French braid. There’s also windblown and romantic, or tight and elegant. Now you can’t say you’re out of ideas, right? Play around!
6. Tousled Waves: Soft, loose, and undone waves are sexy, simple, and very trendy. You can scrunch your damp hair with some styling products, and let it dry naturally. You can also use a bun to set the hair and when you take it out – TA-DA – soft, tousled waves.
So there you have it: Six fun, simple styles to try in 2013. Change things up and don’t be afraid to experiment, especially with creative braids. Ask your stylist for some tips if you’re timid – Happy 2013!